In the spirit of the Norbertine value of stabilitas loci, a deep commitment to the local community, we acknowledge this land as the ancestral home of the Menominee nation, which holds historical, cultural, and sacred significance to the community. We acknowledge the living history and contributions of the indigenous communities that inhabited this land prior to the establishment of St. Norbert College, as well as the sovereign Native American Nations who continue to contribute to the flourishing of our communitiesSt. Norbert College
As an organization, we believe that the Land Acknowledgement Statement is a great beginning to the healing connection between St. Norbert College and all Tribal Nations in WI (especially the Menominee Nation). However, words are empty without action.
As the Council of Indigenous People, we plan to put action into the LAS by:
- Adding the LAS to the front page of the official SNC website.
- Requiring the LAS to be read at all events and meetings.
- Offering a scholarship to Native students.
- Implementing a Native history course taught by an Indigenous professor.
- Having more admissions outreach to tribal communities across Wisconsin.